When I type “How to Succeed in University?” I got some videos, they all share some study tips and mentality. I think this video (see above) is a good choice. The video shows:

1. Read the syllabus for course Settings and assignments.
  2. Plan your study time properly, tell your classmates or parents about your class time, and tell them not to disturb you during this time.
  3. Students are expected to actively participate in the class and connect with their classmates by joining conversations and asking questions, and answering questions in the forum.
  4. Learners need to join study groups and vote for answers they really like or share materials they have created for the course. At the same time, learners need to avoid logical errors, and they can evaluate each other and cite sources and data to support your arguments.

From these points, 3 and 4 are interactive interactions because sharing and commenting on each other’s ideas will has an impact on each other. Learners respond to the video in the form of text or conversation, especially for 1.3 and Point 4. I think students will use text to list plans and describe their views. After watching the video, I encouraged the students to do an activity. Since our topic is “How to Succeed in College”. We’re going to focus on some study techniques. Some of our most critical topics are about making study plan, staying focused and reducing study anxiety. Based on these knowledge points, I suggest that learners should be divide into several study groups, and each person list his/her study schedule for this semester according to the syllabus of each course. And share it with the group. The software I recommend is Google Docs. It can support multi-party collaboration. Learners need to share their progress and content on a weekly comment on each other. Each learner is asked to rate themselves on a weekly basis. Because I think group work can help people reduce anxiety, sharing plans can help each other to monitor whether learners’ plans are reasonable. Mutual comment can make common progress and share ideas. This activity will give me a semester’s worth of work, as I will have to monitor students’ timely feedback. But I found it easy to manage, and because it was a group task, I could check on many people at once. This video is designed to attract students, but if you could be more specific in describing the main points, for example, using life experience to illustrate the reasons for doing so. This will make it easier to understand and attract students to relate to it. Consider the potential obstacles learners will encounter when using this video, such as for the EEL. I recommend downloading the Language Reactor. It can shows live subtitles and translate the video for you.

Reference

Study tips to succeed as an online student. YouTube. (2020, January 17). Retrieved June 20, 2022, from https://youtu.be/-1DRETk-mns